- Alcohol biscuits (3)
- Almond biscuits (5)
- Baking powder biscuits (35)
- Buttermilk biscuits (11)
- Cheese biscuits (5)
- Chocolate biscuits (17)
- Coconut biscuits (3)
- Coffee biscuits (3)
- Egg-free biscuits (27)
- Fruit biscuits (10)
- Herb biscuits (1)
- Quick & easy (21)
- Speciality cookies (1)
- Spice biscuits (12)
- Vegan biscuits (2)
- Vegetable biscuits (6)
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon butter (used to melt the chocolate later)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 square (or 1 ounce) semisweet chocolate
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon milk
- In a bowl, sift flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- In large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat 1/2 cup of butter and sugar together until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Gradually beat in flour mixture until it’s well blended.
- Divide the dough into two.
- Melt the dark chocolate and 1 tablespoon of butter together. Click here to see how to melt the chocolate. Add in the cocoa powder and mix.
- Knead chocolate mixture into one of the doughs.
- Shape each dough into 12” by 2” by 1” block.
- Cut each block into 12” by 1” by 1” block.
- Use the milk as “glue” and “glue” two strips of opposing colors next to each other. Place the last two strips on top of those, so that the colors are alternating.
- Wrap the block with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate 5 hours or overnight.
- After refrigerating, preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Cut the dough 1/4” thick slices place them into two large nonstick baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until lightly golden.
- Transfer to wire racks to cool.
Prepare 48 checkerboard cookies.
Tags: chocolate biscuit recipe, chocolate cookies